Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Grandma roadtrip

So a couple of months ago my grandmother showed up at my door at 8:15 a.m.

Grandma: Are you off today?

Brady: (long pause) uhhhh yes.

Grandma: I need you to take me to a funeral in Blakely.

Brady: (long pause) uhhhh ok.

Grandma needed me to drive because the funeral was in the afternoon and granddad didn't want her driving after dark. So, at about 11 a.m. we're off.

Brady: Umm do you know how to get to Blakely?
Grandma: Yes.

Turned out that the real answer to that question was I knew how to get to Blakely 20 years ago but now I'm not so sure.

We got to the Interstate and it became clear that she really wasn't sure which road to turn on. The road was near the Interstate and after asking the UPS guy at Subway for directions we found it.

Brady: Uhhh Grandma, when we get to Blakely do you know which funeral home to go to?
Grandma: There's only one funeral home in Blakely.

Actually there was only one funeral home in Blakely 20 years ago. We passed three funeral homes on the way into the city.

Luckily the helpful person at McDonalds told us which funeral home to go to. But when we got there grandma seemed confused. She pointed out that she didn't recognize the people who were going into the funeral home. I thought, oh dear is there really a funeral today? Does grandma really know these people? Is she having a senior moment that has now cost me my day off?

Then, the people she knew arrived and it was all good. Well as good as things were going to get at a funeral.

I really didn't know the woman, other than I was somehow related to her and she used to be Ted Turner's girlfriend.

Still in the car Grandma told me stories. She pointed out a church where the members erected a sign that says that only church members could be buried in their cemetery. Apparently, years ago someone wanted to bury a child who was not the right color and there was a fight. And now, there is a sign.

She also talked about her most memorable birthday. She was a teenager and it was her birthday and the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

That's right kids my grandmother and Vito Corleone share a birthday. Which confirms some theories I've had about my family connections to The Family.

Fear the Dixie Mafia.

No comments: