Wednesday, January 21, 2009

We all make mistakes, We don't all immortalize them

Ok, so as you see from my last post I like the new president. I wish him well and hope that he turns the country around .... BUT there is a bit of craziness creeping into some of my brethren journalists who seem to have given up on objective journalism and have become cheerleaders. I mean, the reason why we all hate Fox News is because they abhor objectivity in favor of supporting THE RIGHT. However, it's hard to criticize them when some journalism overlord approves a headline like this - Obama Raises Hand Lifts Nation.

I think we can all agree that Obama the presidency is a unique moment in American history. I wouldn't want to diminish that and if the headline had been on an opinion piece I would have been with you brother. BUT this headline was on a hard news story.

So you would think that the day after it ran someone, somewhere would have gotten past Obamamania and reexamined ourselves for unbiased reporting. We would have asked hard questions about how we presented information and if we had gone just a tinsy bit too far.

At the very least we wouldn't have put the offending headline on a T-Shirt.

Right? Right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right.

How about "Obama cuts bait, nation fishes"?