Friday, December 12, 2008

Fast Fiction Friday II

This is a comic script. If you are a comic artist and feel like working for free please drop me a line brady122078@hotmail.com. If you hate it, well, shut up.


Zeus, done in oil, on black clouds and surrounded by lightning


Page 1 Panel 1
A thin redhead girl is lying in bed. She's got a slight case of bed head and a big smile. She's watching her lover get dressed.
VO
Foolish girl. What was I thinking.
Page 1 Panel 2
The lover, a man in his late 30s with Reed Richard's temples and Bruce Wayne's build. He's clearly aristocratic and little vain. He's wearing black pants and a black suit jacket over a blue buttonless shirt. No tie.

Page 2
Panel 1
Our redhead is in a bookstore looking at Robert Graves Greek mythology.
VO
Was it the book?
Panel 2
(Reed Richards)
Studying for a test?
REDHEAD
Huh? (then she realizes he's cute)
Umm hello.
Panel 3
(Reed)
I'm sorry dear. No one ever picks up Graves, unless they're taking something strange down at the community college.
REDHEAD
Nothing strange. I just like the stories.
Panel 4
(REED)
Right, well I recommend Graves' I Claudius. Claudius was a bit duller than Graves' interpretation but all those Roman betrayals make for a good bedtime story.
REDHEAD
I Claudius was excellent are you watching Rome on HBO?
(REED)
I'm sorry. Is that a television show?
Panel 5 and 6
REDHEAD
So, he doesn't know everything.
(She tucks her hair behind her ear)
Do you know where a girl can get a good cup of coffee at this hour?
(REED)
Certainly. Right this way.
Panel 7
Black with just a voice over.
I'm Denise
Yes you are. I am Seth.

Page 3

Panel 1 (black panel)
Voice Over Denise
Come on girl. The coffee wasn't that good.
Panel 2
Seth turns to face Denise. He looks slightly sinister.
Seth
Now then, my dear
Panel 3 and 4
He moves quickly towards her so that his face is close to hers.
Seth
Breakfast will be pancakes, sausage, toast and apples juice.
Denise
I don't have anything, umm morningish to wear.
Panel 5
SETH
I think you invented a new word.
I have some shirts and boxers in the dresser here that might meet with your approval.

PAGE 4
Panel 1
Denise stands up and gets dressed.
The hardwood floor is nice and cold.
VO
Come on girl, get it together.
Panel 2
Denise walks over to the window and looks outside.
Panel 3
Cut to outside We're at an isolated farmhouse covered in snow. There is a barn in the distance and two cars parked at the door.
Panel 4
Denise runs her finger in a circle along the frosted window pane creating an impression.
Panel 5
Denise squiqqles her fingers in the circle.
Panel 6
From outside looking in we see that Denise has created a star inside a circle. Maybe less points or more points than a pentagram. Denise is walking away from the window.

PAGE 5
Panel 1 - 3 As we (and Denise) walk through the farmhouse we notice than SETH is quite Spartan. There are few nick knacks, no pictures, or signs of novelty. There are quite a few books scattered and placed in odd corners.
SETH is cooking
Panel 4
DENISE
Link sausage or, you know, patty?
Panel 5
SETH
Nevermind the sausage girl. Have some of this apple juice. It's the pride of this state and the apple juice of the Gods.
DENISE
I think you might have oversold it.
Panel 6
Denise takes a long gulp.
DENISE
Damnnnnn.

Page 6
Seth and Denise are eating
SETH
So what do you think of the place?
DENISE
It's gorgeous.
Panel 2
SETH
It's warm in the winter. The summer's infernal though so I usually skip out to the mountains or well, whichever city I haven't been to in a while.
Panel 3
DENISE
That seems like a lot of travel for a carpenter.
SETH
Well my parents were very secure and they died when I was young and that left me very secure.
Panel 4
DENISE
And by secure you mean rich?
SETH
Filthy.
DENISE
Well, there are worse things to be I suppose.
Panel 5
SETH
And how about you? Do you travel much?
DENISE
Oh, sometimes when they are displaying my work somewhere. Mostly though I stay home. I like places but I don't much care for most people.
SETH
Well, who does.

PAGE 7
DENISE
Lately, thought I haven't painted much. I've been uninspired. That's why I was looking at that book on the Greek gods. I was hoping for a motivator.
SETH
Humans, should never paint the God's. It's disrespectful.
The Muslims, the Jews and most sensible Christians think it's a bad idea to try to create a painting or a totem to represent their God. Too often those symbols become the focus of the worship instead of the god himself.
Panel 2
Denise is making a point with her fork.
DENISE
Sure, but those guys worship God with a capital Go. I'm talking about the Greek Gods. The ones no one pays attention too anymore.
Panel 3
Seth (slightly perturbed)
Always be careful of the God's behind you, they may be ready to strike. You don't want to end up in the cyclops den with Ulysses.
DENISE
Well, if I have to go better to be with Ulysses than anyone else. At least he knows the way out.
Panel 4
Seth laughs
Panel 5
Seth
Good show.

Page 8
Panel 1
DENISE
So.
SETH
So.
DENISE
We need to talk.
SETH
I thought we were.
Panel 2
DENISE
No, I mean about this. I don't do this. I'm not this kind of girl.
SETH
You don't eat breakfast
DENISE
You know what I mean
Panel 3
SETH
Yes, I'm afraid I do.
DENISE
Listen, never mind I was wrong. Let's not talk. Forget it. Let's not do the thing.
SETH
We already did several things, which one thing did you have in mind that we not do.
Panel 4
DENISE
The thing where you say you'll call and you never do and I say I'll see you around but I won't because we'll both do our best to avoid one another.
SETH
You've got this all thought through haven't you?
Panel 5
SETH (leans into her space)
Denise Tribune you can share my bed, my house and my life until the day the sun grows cold and the stars float back to heaven.
Panel 6
They kiss

PAGE 9
SETH
But first come and meet the family. Rex, Eleanor, breakfast.
Panel 2
Two large brown mutts come racing into the house sliding across the kitchen tile.
Panel 3
SETH raises his right hand into a fist and the dogs sit obediently at either side of him.
Panel 4
SETH hands Denise a piece of sausage.
SETH
Call Rex, tell him to sit and then feed him the sausage. He'll be as smitten with you as I am.
Panel 5
DENISE
Do you have any other children.
SETH
I've got an old milk cow but she's sick and won't last the winter.

PAGE 10
Panel 1
DENISE
What time is it?
SETH
10:30
Panel 2
Denise
I've got to go I told my friend Marla I'd meet her for lunch in town.
SETH
I hope that isn't something people say.
Denise
No, no I, I'm coming back Seth, you couldn't keep me away. But I really have to go shower and change.
Panel 3
SETH
Feed Eleanor too so she won't get jealous please.

PAGE 11
Full Page while Denise is showering, hey this is still a PG-13 rated comic get your mind out of the gutter and cover the naughty bits with steam, Seth is downstairs standing up and reading.
In cursive we'll have this:
Hera, vexed by Heracles excesses, drove him mad. He first attacked his beloved nephew Iolaus, Iphicles's eldest son, who managed to escape his wild lunges; and then, mistaking six of his own children for enemies, shot them down, and flung their bodies into a fire.

Page 12
Two panels
Seth and Denise embrace again outside of the house in front of her little hippie Volkswagen.
Panel 2
Seth stands and watches her drive off into the distance

In cursive we'll have this: When Heracles recovered his sanity, he shut himself up in a dark chamber for some days, avoiding all human intercourse and then, after purification by King Thespius, went to Delphi, to inquire what he should do.

Page 13
Panel 1
Marla watches as Denise walks into the restaurant. It's one of those girl power places with lots of art, sculpture and small sandwiches.
MARLA (is a witch, and a granddaughter of the 60's. Make her look modern though with rainbow sunglasses.)
You've had sex.
DENISE
say it a little louder.
PANEL 2
MARLA
Oh the muggles can't hear us. Your aura is just radiant.
DENISE
I can't believe you got it that quick.
PANEL 3
MARLA
Honey, I'm a witch. I don't question the god's about my gifts and neither should you.
So what's he like.
DENISE
He's a one night stand. That's it.
PANEL 4
MARLA
Oh come on, Denisikins, you don't have one night stands. I wish you did, you'd be a whole lot healthier and more satisfied but that ain't you. I bet you've got the wedding colors all picked out.
DENISE
Stop it.
Panel 5
MARLA looks sullen
Panel 6
Denise
He's a carpenter. He's kind of dry, and charming in that stuffy English manner.
Panel 7
SETH back at the barn standing in front of the large bay doors in front of the barn.


Page 14
Panel 1
MARLA
And.
DENISE
And he's amazing in bed.
MARLA
Woof.
Panel 2
DENISE
I mean ... I mean ... my god.
MARLA
double woof. does he have a brother.
Panel 3
DENISE
Well we never got around to the family questions. He has a farm out in the sticks.
MARLA
Honey, did you sleep with a Cletus?
Panel 4
Denise
No. He's so sophisticated. So well read and educated.
MARLA
What does he do?
Panel 5
Denise
He's a carpenter.
Panel 6
SETH opens the barn door.
Panel 7
Seth walks into the barn. The walls are covered in ancient symbols, and talismans. The most prominent symbol is the same one Denise drew on the window pane earlier.

Page 15
Panel 1
Marla
So, what do you think? Is he it.
Denise
I don't know.
Panel 2
Marla
Yes you do. Women always know.
Denise
It's too soon.
Panel 3
Marla
Honey you ain't getting any more divorced. It's time to jump back into something exciting.
Denise
Maybe
Panel 4
Marla
I'm sure about it. You'll see what I mean.
Panel 5-7
SETH takes off his shirt, and jacket but still has on his black pants. He walks his bull to the middle of the barn and pulls out a bone handle knife

Page 16
Panel 1
Marla
What we need to do is consult the cards.
Denise
Quit it.
Panel 2
Marla
No the cards tend to prove these things out
Marla reaches into her purse
Panel 3
Marla
I always carry some for just such an occasion
Panel 4
Seth closes his eyes and folds his hands in meditation around the knife.
Panel 5
Seth slashes the bull throat.
Panel 6
The bull falls
Panel 7
Seth kneels before the bull.

Page 17
Panel 1
Marla slaps a card down on the table
Panel 2
The card is of The Emperor.
MARLA
This represents a strong powerful man. A loving father and a natural ruler.
Honey, the cards said you've done well.
Panel 3-7
SETH paints that circle star symbol (oh lets just call it a pentagram and be done) on his chest with blood. He makes an X in blood on his forehead and another X on the undersides of both of his wrists.

Page 18
Panel 1
Just the Card it's the high priestess.
VO MARLA
See, the cards say you should trust me and go with it. This guy is the one for you.
Panel 2-7
Seth prays over his slaughtered bull
SETH
Persephone, crocus in the snow, light and life of somber Hades' realm.
In the devotion of a mother and child, in welcoming sorrow, in comforting grief,
in joy awakened, in sweet homecoming, in these we know you, child of Demeter.
Persephone, queen of the underworld, Grace be upon thee
I ask a boon, beautiful one, a boon not for me but for my child which now grows in a mortal woman
May he be both strong and cunning quick and deadly
this is a harsh world, the gods have made dear Persephone
and may my son be unyielding to the scourges the surround him
may he bring quick death to the enemies that lie both above and below
Page 19
The final card full page is death
VO
DENISE
That doesn't look good.
MARLA
No, not it's not death it's change. It could be wonderful change or
DENISE
Or what?
MARLA
Or could be heartbreaking change. We'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: